IBPS Clerk Exam is not be the toughest Bank Exam in India, but one of the most competitive exam to clear. It is conducted by the Institute of Banking Personnel Selection and mandatory for candidates seeking job opportunities in Public Sector Banks for the post of Clerk. It is the first qualifying step; which is then followed by an Interview (read our article on how to prepare for bank interview) and finally the shortlisted candidates are given a scorecard which helps them to apply for Bank Jobs in various Govt Banks and is valid for 1 year.
IBPS Clerk Syllabus and Preparation
I. Reasoning – This section is designed to gauge the reasoning skills of the candidates, rather than their computational skills.
II. English Language – This section explores your understanding of the English Language and also tests you on reasoning skills.
III. Numerical Ability – Presents data in the form of pie charts, bar graphs, etc, the questions in this section are based on basic mathematics.
IV. General Awareness – Covers topics on current affairs related to politics, business, sports or entertainment. Update yourself regularly, stay abreast of the ongoing happenings; be aware of the who’s who, geography, history and political fraternity of India and the world. Read newspapers and magazines regularly.
V. Computer Knowledge – This section includes subjects like history of computers, how computers work, computer programmes & languages, popular operating systems and role and use of computers in banking sector. (read our articles on computer knowledge for bank jobs).
Each section is of 40 marks and there is a section cut off (minimum score required) for every section, which has to be achieved to qualify for the exam.
How to Prepare
• Start with the Fundamentals – A strong foundation can get you through any catastrophe. Revising or revisiting the fundamentals components of each topic (Reasoning, English Language, Numerical Ability, General Awareness and Computer knowledge) will help you refresh your memory and perform better in your test.
• The Basics – Practice basic mathematics like Algebra, Fraction, Integers, and Percentage. Also practice long calculation to avoid wastage of time during the test.
• Numerical Ability – The key to succeed the numerical ability section is speed and accuracy.
• English Language & Reasoning – It is essential that you increase your speed of reading.
• Evaluate Yourself – Analyse yourself; your strengths, opportunities, weaknesses and threats. Try to find the reason behind your weaknesses and overcome the same. Make the best use of the opportunities with all your strength for optimum result.
• Know Exam Syllabus and Pattern – Make note of areas that you need to cover. Get hold of some previous question papers, it will help you understand the type of questions and the difficulty level better.
• Practice – Ensure that you practice solving enough mock tests before you appear for the actual exam. The more you practice, the more you will get accustomed to the computer based test. It will increase your test-taking speed. It will not only help you overcome panic but also give you a clear picture about the topics you need to improvise in.
• Time Management – Learn to prioritize which topics or questions will take you less time for preparation as well as solving. Ensure you keep to the time limit while solving the mock test; this will condition you to do the same while writing the actual exam.
• Keep an eye on Current Affairs.
Last Minute Tips
a) Do not let fear or anxiety get the better of you – you have prepared for it.
b) Sequence and priorities the questions (and sections).
c) Start by attempting your strength areas.
d) Select questions accurately and smartly.
e) Don’t overstretch in attempting maximum questions in minimum time.
f) Use the elimination method.
g) Ensure that you mark only the right answer, sometimes in haste, you tend to mark the wrong one.
Points to Remember
a) The focus of the test is to identify smartness to choose the best alternative, quick thinking and perseverance.
b) Common sense and logic are extremely important aspects that you need to apply.
Latest posts by Aparna (see all)
- Abhyudaya Co Operative Bank Recruitment 2017 – Branch Manager / Accountant / Special Officer - June 23, 2017
- Axis Bank Walk in Drive – Business Development Executive (27th June – 30th June) - June 23, 2017
- Shamrao Vithal Bank Careers 2017 – Privilege Banker - June 23, 2017
- Axis Bank Careers 2017 – Branch Operations Head - June 21, 2017
- Dombivli Nagari Sahakari Bank Careers 2017 – System Administrator - June 21, 2017