In Bank Exam question paper model, the section ‘ Test of English’ is an important part.
Be it Probationary Officer or Clerical exam, English forms an important part of the squad.
This paper is often considered to be very easy however the questions are quite tricky.
It is a must to go through the basics of the language before solving sample papers or previous year’s paper.
Detailed Syllabus for English in Bank Exams
The English paper will have 50 questions carrying 1 mark each making a total of 50 marks.
English Paper in Bank Probationary Officer Exam or Bank Clerical Exam judges the candidate in the following areas namely comprehension; prepositions, correct/ incorrect, fill in the blanks (using verbs, preposition, articles etc), Para jumbles, sentence corrections, Synonyms, Antonyms, Grammatical errors, idiom & phrases, questions on passage, one word substitution, general grammar and questions on passage. The standard of the questions will be of 10+2 level.
Descriptive part of the test reviews a candidate’s writing abilities and includes 4-5 questions in areas including essay on current topics, summary writing, and reading comprehension. The duration of descriptive part is normally one hour.
Preparing for English Exam
• Grammatical Errors : Attention should be given to avoid the grammatical mistakes as they can the meaning of the sentence. It is advisable that the candidate spends some time in learning the usage of grammar.
Reading good grammar books of 10th level like Wren and Martin and practice sets for English language on a regular basis will help. Check your score, go through the questions in which you faced difficulty, and practice them accordingly.
• Spelling Mistakes : Another blunder made by the candidate in bank exam is the spelling mistakes. The best way to avoid this mistake to re-check the paper and make sure that there are no such errors in the paper.
• Sentence Formation : Make sure that while putting down your thoughts and ideas on paper, the sentence formation is correct. The candidate should improve his/ her way of speaking good English to perk up sentence formation.
• Comprehension Skills: The next important part in English is comprehension which helps you to score better in the subject. There are around 15 questions based on a paragraph which can be easily solved once you understand the paragraph.
The candidate should make a habit of reading English newspaper on a regular basis especially the editorial part as it helps in improving comprehension skills and better understanding of the language.
• Vocabulary : Reading newspapers also helps in improving vocabulary; the candidate should note down the difficult words and look up for their meaning in dictionary.
• Fill-in-the-blanks section is another section wherein you can score by just improving grammatical skills. There are 10 questions in a paragraph where you have to fill-in-the-blanks in the sentences and 5 questions on conventional fill-in-the-blanks type questions).
• Finding errors in a sentence requires good understanding of the English grammar and regular practice.
• For descriptive part, practice writing skills by writing short notes on any day to day topics to develop your skill of sentence formation and proper usage of grammar.
Latest posts by dbose (see all)
- 10 Most Common Bank PO Interview Questions And Answers - May 14, 2015
- How To Reduce Cost In Banks – Common Bank Interview Question - April 5, 2015
- How to Prepare Reasoning Ability for Bank PO Exam - June 7, 2014
- General Awareness Preparation – Tips for Bank PO Exams - June 6, 2014
- How To Prepare For English For Bank Exams - June 4, 2014